Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sand animation...

Last week we viewed an animation which was done entirely with ink on layered board, very cool indeed. I also enjoyed the silhouette Prince Achmed from the week before. These things got me thinking of the power of light to project images and create beautiful landscapes. Then I remembered some videos I ran across about a year ago, sand paintings.
They were amazing, and there are a bunch of videos posted on line of them, here is just one example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=518XP8prwZo. You can find many, many more.
These videos are a ton of fun to watch, it's amazing to see how well some people can manipulate the sand to any picture they want. However, I have never seen a frame to frame stop motion with this medium. Why not? Is the sand too hard to keep in place? That seems to be the best reason I can come up with. I would really like to see a short animated piece using sand art. Does anybody else think one would be doable? A block animation seems like it would be easier, but this just seems more appealing.

5 comments:

  1. At the very beginning of your post I started thinking of the exact youtube video you posted. In fact, I looked it up so I could put up a link. Anyway, all of those examples are beautiful. I think it is so fascinating that they can manipulate the entire board to create a landscape, tell a story, etc....

    I do agree that we should see a stop motion piece featuring some of these things. I dont think it would be too hard. Perhaps you and I should make one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are actually a number of sand stop-motion animations films that have been made. An example filmmaker to look up would be Caroline Leaf (http://www.carolineleaf.com/). She animated with beach sand and did some amazingly impressive work. An example of her work with sand is The Metamorphosis of Mr. Samsa:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYcI2dHqVXI&feature=related

    It's pretty stunning how much control she has over the sand. Those animators that animate in sand or through Alexieff's pinboard technique must be some of the most patient people in existence. To answer your question, I definitely think that sand animation is doable. I did a short one myself awhile back. However, my advice would be to be very cautious and gentle with the sand. Also be prepared to be very patient, as sand animation (to me) is probably one of the most time-consuming forms of animation out there. The 10 sec. piece I made took me close to four-five hours to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these videos are stunning. The amount of control that these people have is amazing. I really think that any of the constant motion sand pieces could be turned into a stop motion animations. The artist has so much control over her body movements and in turn the sand. At the same token I would hate to see any of the fluid pieces become stop motion, simply because they are so fluid and complicated to do that the view is shocked and stunned by the constant movement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frame to frame stop motion using sand art would be one hell of a thing to watch. The amount of time and patience it would take to make such a piece is quite remarkable in itself. I would definitely like to see it if it were to be done. That's a pretty good video you posted too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is an exceptionally beautiful stop-motion animation from decades ago. It's what brought me to this blog as I've been hunting for it through google. The movie is (if my memory serves) either Russian or Belerusian and is about a firefly lost at night. So lovely- and gracefully and painstakingly made. Years ago it used to appear as a suggestion after watching for example, either Yuri Norstien's "Tale of Tales" or "Hedgehog in the Fog". I can't find any sign of it on the internet now, no title, not creator... Which is why I've come across this blog. Here's a stop-motion animation of my own, mostly in chalk but some in sand;

    http://player.vimeo.com/video/82476296

    Let me know if you ever come across the movie I'm hunting for, one about a lost firefly. It's a glowing film.

    Myrrha

    ReplyDelete