Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Simpson's holds a special place in animation history; it was the first of it's kind--a sitcom. We've discussed so much about how animation became "for kids". Saturday morning cartoons wrecked what could have been a viable adult medium--at least for about 40 or 50 years it did.
The Simpson's debuted on the FOX network in a time when FOX was all about making new, exciting programming--that would attract, yes, a younger audience (what better than a cartoon). There was a shocking revilation, adults liked The Simpson's as much as the kids. Adults liked it for it's content and kids liked if for its absurdity and the fact that it was a cartoon. A whole new market was open for media producers.
Countless shows have premiered since, the most popular of which is likely the wildly nonsensical animated sitcom "Family Guy", which I believe makes a mockery of the adult cartoons. Original Simpson's had meaning, morals, and jokes that related to the story line; in short, good writing.
After years, however, even a show as good as "The Simpson's" looses what good material they had and it should be "put on the shelf" so to speak.
"Futurama", however, is another brainchild of the creator of "The Simpson's" which again breaks powerful barriers--an animated sci-fi sitcom. For four seasons it was fresh and witty. There will be many more of these animated adult shows to follow.

3 comments:

  1. I like this post, man. I used to watch The Simpsons every day after school when I was in grade school. That show made me laugh when I was a little kid and it still makes me laugh today. I thought The Simpsons movie was funny as hell. I also agree with what you say about Family Guy. I'm a huge South Park fan and I laughed a lot when they were making fun of Family Guy, but they are right. Family Guy's joke never have anything to do with a plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been a huge Family Guy fan but it is true that all of the jokes have nothing to do really with what is going on in the episode. Family guy to me has always just been a series of one liners run together. I'll give them credit though for being very funny at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s why I think the Simpsons did so well was because it appealed to everyone, when American animation did not accomplish this in the same sense. It’s hard to find someone who doesn’t like the Simpsons. I also watched Futurama. It had a decent run. American Dad could be another one but I’ve only seen it a couple of times. From what I know though it still has the same kind of humor.

    ReplyDelete